Hello! I’m Star, friend of Jenn, and HIMYM enthusiast! Let’s get into the episode:
First, it was nice to see Robin behaving like a normal human being and having an authentic reaction to her mom not being able to come to the wedding. I honestly thought they wouldn’t acknowledge this plot point beyond the last episode. Back to the recap: After Barney accepts the challenge to cheer up Robin, we flash back to the Fall of 2012 where Lily and Robin present Barney with a series of challenges, leading to some great interactions between the three of them. Meanwhile, Ted and Marshall are at a Harlem Globetrotters game but of course they’re rooting for the Washington Generals. Throughout the game/episode Marshall and Ted debate Ted’s future with Robin, while Barney met The Mother and accepted the best challenge to date. The other twist in the episode was Hammond Druthers, Ted’s old boss/nemesis calling Ted offering him a job in Chicago. Ted eventually turns him down once he sees Robin eating olives. Once again, we see Ted caught up in the belief that he can get Robin to love/marry him, so he chose that hope over the job in Chicago.
- Robin: Does anyone know how to turn this off? Is there like a button or something?
- Robin: I need you to take a year A full year and just be celibate. No boys, one year. Think you know I’m right about this.
- Marshall: Oh my God, do you know who you are? You’re Nicholas Sparks.
- Barney: More challenges, more challenges!
- Hammond: I WILL LIVE ON YOUR FACEBOOK WALL!!
- Hammond: The door’s always open Ted
- Barney: Drawing a blank
- The Mother: Do you want to keep playing, or do you want to win?
Moments of awesomeness:
- Lily trying to scare Robin out of being sad and making her get hiccups
- How nice was it to see Marshall back with the group – I’ve really missed him being around everyone this season.
- Love the use of the Globetrotter’s music
- Ted and Marshall heckling the refs and coach at the game
- Marshall and Robin not being able to make out even if lives were depending on it. Am I the only one that really enjoys story lines with Marshall and Robin?
- Lily and Robing giving up and getting Barney to run errands for them
- Barney thinking that Zabka would be a dream date for the redhead
- The scene outside the drugstore with Barney and The Mother was phenomenal. Can I be best friends with The Mother?
- Every scene with Hammond Druthers
- Marshall’s reaction to the Generals losing the game
- The song playing during the last scene- anyone know what this was? I thought it was perfect.
- Not seeing Marshall in that SUV on the way to the wedding.
- Ted and Robin saluting
- Marshall making up a song about what he’s doing at the moment
- Blue french horn
- The Robin
- Hammond Druthers- I love that he is so terrible at being an architect
- How invested are Lily and Marshall in their bet? How far are they willing to go to win?
- Is there a reason that this season is focusing on Ted chasing after Robin AGAIN?
- Now that we’ve seen how Lily and Barney met The Mother, which non-Ted meeting are you most looking forward to seeing?
- Will Barney remember meeting The Mother when she shows up to play at their reception?
- Is Barney’s calligraphy pen actually Property of Ted Mosby?
- Can George write every episode for the rest of the season?
- I love how Barney always responds to smart , ballsy women who call him on his crap (Lily, Quinn, Robin, and now The Mother)
Thanks for letting me share a my perspective with you for this episode. Hopefully the professionals will be back for next week.
Good call with the calligraphy pen question! I thought this was going to be another “throw-away” episode at first. I was cracking up when Marshall said “who’ve you got to compete with?” to Ted and then they panned to Barney. Then, Barney meets The Mother. Dang, the writers sure are doing an excellent job of continuing to butter her up for us! I also found it incredibly poetic how The Mother was actually the thrust behind Barney locking down Robyn and essentially securing her own future with Ted – she was responsible for both the event where she will eventually meet Ted as well as getting Barney to lock down the only other girl who could stood between her and Ted. It’s funny how things work out sometimes. And this is exactly how life often works. It is stranger than fiction!
The song is “It’s About Time” by The Magnetic Fields. And the meeting I’m most looking forward to for the mother is Marshall. Just as Lily and Ted have had great conversations in the past, Marshall has had some with Stella and Robin. Marshall is not just Ted’s biggest fan but his support and his defender. I expect Marshall to be the last of the group, besides Ted, to meet her. Despite being a stamp tramp, this is one situation where Marshall’s approval will be vital.
Sorry .. correction on the song title: “It’s Only Time”
I didn’t expect this episode to be important, with Barney meeting The Mother and all, but I’m so glad it was!
It was good to see that Barney went all serious when he worked on ‘The Robin’, to get her, and Ted decided only let things happen.
And I’m enjoying The Mother more and more. Can’t wait to see who she’s meeting next.
So proud of my friend Star and her great recap! I didn’t even notice Marshall’s song the first time around. Also love your thought about the pen. Bravo!