Kids, I’m gonna tell you an incredible story,
the story of how I met your mother
So as many of you know, I didn’t start recapping HIMYM until Season 4 (ref. Woo Girls) and because of that I’ve always felt that beawesomeinstead.com is incomplete. The thing is, I like completion…so let’s start from the beginning shall we?
I’ve got to be honest, starting to re-watch from the beginning is really stinking difficult. I mean we know so much more now, and at the same time still know so little. And with knowing what comes next for a lot of this it’s hard not to sit and pick apart the little details that would drive many of us mad…Example, Ted references the first time that Marshall & Lily had sex and implies that they were on the bottom bunk, but when we see “Frist time in New York (ref. s02e12) they are on the top bunk. So past that one, I’ll try to keep it as if we are watching for the first time, otherwise we could be here for weeks.
Robin. Robin is great in this episode. Even though she ends up being just Aunt Robin the fact that it starts here should make her a huge part of the story. Not only that but she looks amazing! It doesn’t hurt that in this phase of HIMYM, Robin seems quite flirty. Anways, it’s hard not to watch her interact with the group yet, but I guess that’s the burden of foreknowledge.
Lily & Marshall. Just great together, I mean what more can you say. Lily in the eye patch looks ridiculous but I suppose that’s the point. I wish Marshall said “dibs” more. And for some reason I completely forgot that Barney kissed him… his reaction was hilarious. Speaking of which….
Barney. I’ve always loved the way that he & Ted meet. It’s quite legendary when you think about it. It’s even funnier when you get the rest of the story. My favorite part from Barney here has to be his pushing Ted to wear a suit…and how stinking excited he is when Ted actually does. Plus we get to see him play laser tag. Good stuff.
Ted. If you haven’t figured it out by now, the show is about Ted. Now while I might get some debate on that, it’s true. With that said, already I see a ton of foreshadowing in this episode. And while there are some continuity errors since then, seeing those really encourages me that the show is still going in the same direction they initially indented…even though I’m sure some details have changed.
All and all, what a great episode and premier. Season 1 really was an amazing season…enough from me, what did you all think about the Pilot of HIMYM?torrentz.com
- E-Pro by Beck c(not exactly but it’s the same tune as the guitar riff when Ted, Barney, Lily & Marhsall are in Ranjit’s cab after stealing the Smurf penis)
- Cigarettes and Coffee by Otis Redding (playing in Robin’s apartment –Air Version)
- I Want To Be Ready – Kool Blues (playing in Robin’s apartment –DVD Version)
- Back On The Chain Gang by the Pretenders (closing song, Ted explains to his kids how he met Aunt Robin)
Ted: You know ever since college it’s always been Marshall and Lily and me. Now it’s gonna be Marshall and Lily… and me. They’ll go off get married, start a family, and before you know it, I’m that middle-aged bachelor their kids call “uncle Ted.”
Barney: Okay, meet me at the bar in 10 minutes, and suit up!
Barney: …Where’s your suit? Just once, when I say, “suit up” I wish you’d put on a suit.
Ted: I did… that one time.
Barney: It was a blazer!
Lily: did you know there is a pop tart under your fridge?
Marshall: No but dibs.
Ted: Hey, Barney. See that girl?
Barney: Oh, yeah, you just know she likes it dirty.
Barney: De -wait for it- Nied! Denied!
Barney: There’s no such thing as the signal! But yeah, that was the signal.
Ted: I gotta do what that guy couldn’t, I gotta take the leap!…Okay, not a perfect metaphor, cause for me it’s fall in love and get married, and for him it’s…death.
Barney: Actually, that is a perfect metaphor…
Ted: Are you trying to get me drunk?
Robin: For Starters
Marshall: Lily, I like olives.
Lily: We’ll make it work
Moments of Awesomeness
- Have You Met Ted? … best game ever. True Story
- Marshall’s practice proposal to Ted. So perfect…those two should totally be toget…wait, Marshall isn’t he mother. I mean Marshall & Lily.
- Uncle Ted. I love Ted’s talk with Barney about Marshall & Lily’s kids calling him Uncle Ted. Explains a lot if you think about it.
- Lily’s second surprise from Marshall, “Boogity Boo!”
- First episode and already we get Carl & Ranjit!
- Barney’s catch phrases are in fully swing… what up, wait for it, suit up…
- Ted suits up. Barney’s reactions are far better than Ted suiting up though.
Is Robin hot in the episode or what?…seriously, oh my.
- Ted ask Marshall what he told him that his perfect woman would be. Marshall recalls that it’s someone who loves dogs, drinks scotch, can quote obscure lines from Ghostbusters. Since most of us know a little bit more about the future, what do you think happened to these qualities in the future?
- Will Ted tell the eventual mother that he loves he on the first date or before? Will he Mosby her? Have you ever Mosby’ed someone?
- the first time you watched this episode, how did you feel about the ending?