Let’s start with two thoughts. I’ve never been a huge fan of guest stars…I mean they do help with ratings and they are usually very nice to look at, but few really pull of any great acting. It’s mostly about making an appearance. That being said (and please exclude Sarah Chalke, she is amazing), I felt JLo did one of the better acting jobs I have seen from a guest on How I Met Your Mother. Then again as long as it wasn’t Gigli I think we knew she had acting chops.
Secondly, Throughout most of tonight’s episode I found that I was enjoying it but never really felt like it was significant or of any real substance, other than to draw more attention to Barney. Luckily, I think I was wrong again. I love the fact that we got a lot more Robin time this episode, I felt it was long overdue. More importantly than more Robin development, was a huge reveal into the true character of Barney. While, some would argue that Barney needs to be only about suits & sex, I think it’s great to develop him in some other dimensions. I thought that his relationship with Robin was a strong start to that and now we get another glimpse. Not only does he show that he still cares for Robin, though maybe not in the same way as before he make a commitment that is against his normal persona on the show. That’s not just unusual, I feel it will be critical. I have to say, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cheer when he ran out and jumped in the Hudson…I digress.
I thought the callback to Ted’s legendary date planning ability (like in Ten Sessions) plus his music number to convince Barney of the “Super Date” was pretty funny. I loved the scene changes…the whole video was like a mixture of The Old Spice Man Your Man Could Smell Like video played by Michael Bublé. However, after Girls vs Suits, I’m starting to wonder if HIMYM is turning musical.
I’ve have to say, I started the episode underwhelmed, but now I feel like it was a pretty solid ep. Lots to like… then again, I’ve watched it 3 times now.
I’d love to know if I’m the only one who felt that way. What did everyone else think?
- The Bang Bang Song by Marshall (reprised at the end by Robin)
- Super Date by Ted Evelyn Mosby (the heart touching ballad sung to sell the “Super Date”) get the mp3
Barney: At least when I run out on a girl I have the common courtesy to sleep with her first. It’s called manners.
Lily: She kinda sounds like the anti-Barney
Robin: But um…. (looks like it’s back! May the drinking games commence.)
Marshall: You’re my wife. You’re supposed to stop me from embarrassing myself in public.
Robin: Isn’t that every girls dream?
Lily: Of Course she’s upset! Take a look at yourself you dumb slut.
Marshall: I can’t believe you threw up in your storm trooper helmet.
Barney: Eh, that had something worse in it after the Phantom Menace premier.
Moments of Awesomeness
- Superdate…did I mention I ripped the audio for that song? I’m listening to it for inspiration while writing.
- Barney’s “This changes everything, new plan” moment was hilarious.
- I will be trying the sit on a chair and fall off from shock move…great effort by NPH there.
- I’m fairly certain that my wife read “Of Course You’re Still Single Take a Look at Yourself You Dumb Slut”… what a great title by the way…and her new book, “ Of Course You Don’t Have A Retirement Plan yet Take a Look At Yourself You Dumb Slut”… it’s due out in June, hopefully at a book store near you.
- Marshall pretends to be Robin and she jumps him in the kitchen. Now there is a decent fight… Murder Train vs. The Hoosier
- Poor Mike got Hooked by Anita (JLo)… and only 1 ep after getting unhooked by Robin.
- I love it that Robin goes to the range to shoot when she is mad… and she throws the gun when she is out of bullets.
- Barney’s reason for jumping into the River. I feel there is a lot more to this simple act that what we see in this episode.
Everyone wants to know what happened on Robin’s date with Don. Robin doesn’t want to kiss and tell… Although one interesting thing did happen:
I said, bang, bang, bangity, bang bang…