What a great episode of HIMYM. Natural History had the perfect mix of what makes this show awesome. And it’s a very nice recovery from last week’s Canning Randy. And from what twitter was saying last night HIMYM fans agreed (if you haven’t then start following @bawesomeinstead now!). Btw, if you would like a more in depth recap check our @MeredithJJacobs run down of tonight.
Three main story lines, Barney & Robin’s “Do Not Touch” challenge, Marshall & Lilly’s Corporate/College argument and Ted, Zoey & the Captain in a web of lies and deciept… actually I don’t think anyone is sure what’s going on there. Some people scream Mother, I doubt she is the mom but I know Jennifer Morrison is around in at least the on screen nemesis for a bit, I’m just trusting that HIMYM is going somewhere with it. Still the look in her eyes during the dance and her move to erase the tape after Ted showed some dignity hints at something slightly more serious.
The big revelation of the night had to be the reveal of Barney’s father. I realize that I should always use the word “potential” with How I Met Your Mother reveals, but he seems pretty certain of it in the final scene with Robin. I really do feel like we are ramping up for a more mature version of a Barney/ Robin relationship, possibly even a wedding. Still there seems to be a lot of emotional depth to what’s been happening with Barney this season, and it’s a lot more than just Awesomeness and cool posters.
Possibly another big shake up was the Re-Return Moment when we see that Corporate Marshall will soon be extinct. That and Old Ted’s famous “but more on that later” to let us know something’s coming up.
All in all Natural History was an excellent episode. So what did everyone else think?
Moments of Awesomeness
- Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville, well and “the Captain”…
- I love the more confident confrontational Ted. But Ted having some dignity, I like that Ted too.
- Scooter! I love the callbacks. The prom night picture was nice.
- Ted’s Architecture fun facts. This one actually played into the show. Still, these always make me smile.
- Want a hit of this sandwich… two things. One the Lily/college Marshall conversation is probably the only thing tonight that didn’t work in my opinion. It was funny, yea..but come one. And two, it’s funny but hard for me to buy that Ted sensors “sandwiches” but talks constantly about chicks and sex.
- Barney and Robin were Amazing tonight! I love the Do Not Touch game in the museum. Anyone wanna play?
How I Met Your Mother Music
- "La Javanaise" by Madeleine Peyroux (closing dance with Zoey & Ted)
Robin: You can’t kick a story in the nuts
Robin (to Barney while touching the statue together): Get your other hand off my ass.
Zoey: Ted, This is my husband
Ted: Yea, Old stuffs great.
Lily: That’s also a made up word!
Security Guard (about something young Barney did): That story is Legend <phone rings> hold on… dairy.
Ted: Oh my god! You have a monocle? Is this really happening? Good luck killing James Bond.
Ted: You look gross when you cry. Some people look cute, you look like a basset hound.
We see Marshall working late and Artillery Author pushing him to keep going. Then, Old Ted let’s us know that the extinction of Corporate Marshall is coming.
- So we have a good idea that Barney’s dad is Jerome Whittiker, a man that Barney thought was his uncle. Do you tin he will every pursue it? And is anyone else starting to sense that bond between Barney & Robin?
- I’m on the record as saying Zoey is NOT the mother. Reason’s you ask?
1. She’s not in economics class, 2. She is not the Cindy’s roommate and 3. Ted had met her before the wedding…but her role is definitely important or she wouldn’t be around so long. Where do you think they are going?
- We know Marshall discovers the Loch Ness monster, but no clue what his job was other than still being a Lawyer. What do you think is coming with the death of Corporate Marshall?
Did anyone else catch that Zoey’s printed name in the paper is Zoey Peirson (Not Zoey van Smooth), and they also have Ted go out of the way and mention that in the opening? Could be significant…my friend has had a theory that Zoey is the sister of the mother. Could this be the writers saying Zoey’s maiden name is Peirson — aka the mother’s last name is Peirson?
I guess it seems a little far fetched after I type it all out…but it still seems odd that they mention “Peirson” all of a sudden!
I must say my favorite part was when Barney and Marshall were in their tuxs doing British accents at the start. Classic. Oh and don’t forget “wieners and gonads.”
I can’t believe I forgot “Nailed it!”
What a great recovery from the last week’s episode!
This one was totally heart-warming. Canning Randy had a bitter tone, making me feel like something was incomplete.
Anyway, CT and BT writing was impeccable tomorrow! I’m telling ya, these guys are freekin’ geniuses!
When did they say that Marshall discovered Loch Ness? I’m assuming thats from a previous episode.
I don’t see it as that. She probably used her maiden name because of The Captain’s connections to GNB, or at least he made her do it since she trashed GNB & Ted in the article for knocking down The Arcadian.
There was a future scene in Episode 3.02: We’re Not From Here where Marshall opens Lily’s death note before she dies. In the background you see a news paper clipping that reads “NY Lawyer Captures Nessy” …it was a fun little tease, I meant it in a playful way.
Here is the screen grab btw of Marshall & NY Lawyer Captures Nessy article
I thought it was “Niled It”.. Get it?
1. She’s not in economics class.
We don’t know for that for sure. It’s funny how she got inside Ted’s Architecture class at Columbia University. I have a feeling she recruits students for her cause. Where else can you get moldable young minds to fight for your cause?
2. She is not the Cindy’s roommate.
You’re right. It’s impossible that Zoey could be the roomate. Zoey was at the Guns N’ Roses Chinese Democracy concert and .. Actually I’m not really sure about this one.
3. Ted had met her before the wedding…
I thought the wedding was a flashback to the future.
Thanks, I can see why I missed that in the episode 3.02.
Let’s talk about these a second so you see my perspective.
1. That’s a great point about recruitment. She could have been in there for the reasons you mentions. However, it would stand to reason that when they first met and talked to so much about architecture it might have came up with a sort of “Hey, I remember you…” moment. Since that didn’t happen I still stand by the, she wasn’t in the class statement.
2. This one may be sketchy but Zoey mention she had been married from a young age. She may have been playing Ted with it but at the same time I feel there is some truth in every lie. Let’s call this one a draw.
3. I’m not sure we are getting around this. Even if is was a flash forward… he still knows Zoey before the wedding started.
It’s a fun debate either way.
Got it… I had to go back and listen again. Thanks Sze
I enjoyed this episode a lot!! All the three stories were funny and interesting. Each of them leave questions, that keep you hook with show
not for the same reasons, but it crossed by mind that the motheris related to Zoey. Zoey is NOT the mother for the same reasons that Aaron listed ealier – not economics class, not cindy’s roommate. Zoey said she’s been married since she is 22.
My favorite barney/robin moment was robin drumming on the turtle in the exhibit behind the security guard. HER FACE, HILARIOUS.
robin and barney are for sure heating up and it’s more mature, not about sex. I think this dad reveal is HUGE.
can we talk about how beautfil robin looked tonight? they had been downplaying how beautiful colbie is this season for whatever reason, but she looked amazing.
Ted was such a funny prick this episode. I laughed out loud several times!
Who’s excited for the next few weeks .. Robin Sparkles Part 3 and then what has to be another Slap for Slapsgiving.
My favorite moment was when Robin was sclepping around in the cave-man outfit, hunched over, looking for Barney. And then he surprises her in the Egypian prince outfit.
hey at the end of the episode…whn marshall is workin in his office n arthur asks him to work ovetnight… a music plays in the background….is that some song?? if yes,then can u guys trll what is is????
where can i find a picture of zoey’s dress from this episode?
zoey is a bitch.i know the person is acting but i will rape and kill her when i find her.i swear