Very Funny. I really felt that Bagpipes was a great follow up to Duel Citizenship (if you missed it I really didn’t care for it overall). Despite the fact that I am still for the Robin and Barney relationship, I feel that Ted and Robin still have a lot of chemistry in scenes together. Not necessarily sexual chemistry, just that they play well off of each other. Take the first scene for instance. What a great opening, and it really set the tone for the rest of the episode. Not just that but I love the Seinfeld effect, where all the story lines end up connecting and overlapping. It’s just good writing.
Ted is often a douche, but this episode he was gold. When he and and Barney were holding hands…oh my, that was funny. The whole "bagpipe" substitution was great. I love the way old Ted edits his stories for the kids. Also, was I the only one who thought Marshall was fixing to pull slap number 4 out of the bag after Barney told how he would handle the dish situation and talked about making out with Lily? I was at least happy that the slap bet made an appearance again with Ted and Marshall. I so wanna do a slap bet with someone, but I really hate being slapped.
Also, and I really want to hit on this since I harped about it so much on the last episode, Lily wasn’t quite as annoying this episode. Now I realize that there wasn’t as much Lily this time but still. Not only that but I fell like the married couple was shown a little more positive this time. And I simply loved Marshall’s I’m a good boyfriend speech. Now we could just get the writers to remember all the little quirky intricacies they create for each character. I love continuity, not only that but it would have been hilarious to see Robin on the ski lift in shorts, eh?
On a side note, anyone know where you can find Alexander’s Famous Beer? It’s one of the beer labels I always see on the show. I wonder if it’s real or one just a label the props department made up… Anyway, I just felt that there was a lot good about this episode. But enough about me, what did everyone else think?
- Explosion by Potent – heavy metal that captures the mood of Barney and Robin’s fight
Barney: 100% effective. You can’t fight if you aren’t there, that’s what Ghandi taught us.
Marshall: Call me crazy but…
Ted: I’m not sure you know who Ghandi is…
Ted: I welcomed them to the neighborhood, had a hard candy, nodded at a racist comment…
Not So Awesome Moments :
- Flashbacks and continuity… I mean come on, just last episode Robin went ice skating in a skirt and short sleeves! She’s from Canada, eh?
- Barney and Robin’s advice session with Lily and Marshall seemed a little rushed at the end.
Moments of Awesomeness:
- Slap Bet… even thought it wasn’t slap #4 on Barney
- Barney… what can I say, the dude know how to give a speech. I don’t even know what he is saying but NPH really can deliver.
- Lily’s Shining Impression.
- Marshall’s I’m a good boyfriend speech.
- Callbacks that work… like Lily making pancake and bacon strip for Sunday breakfast.
Lily and Marshall make up after their argument and "play the bagpipes"… then we see their downstairs neighbor’s reaction.