Last night I had a great facebook chat (or chatbook as a former student of mine used to call it) with a fellow HIMYM addict, Lindsay, and I really like her theory:
- Lindsay: Got any theories for the finale?
- Me: Tons!
- M: Mother dies and Ted marries Robin years later
- M: Robin dies
- L: I think the mother being dead is a red herring
- L: I believe Robin will die
- L: They return to Farhampton together so much because they get together there to remember her (she’s buried near)
- M: Good theory
- L: I think she’ll die in childbirth complications (it’ll be a surprise). It’ll be a daughter.
- M: Oooohh
- L: And one of the scenes we’ll see is Barney (not wearing a suit) putting flowers on her grave with the baby, the same kind she had at the wedding
- L: Barney doesn’t wear suits at funerals.
- M: Yeah we see NPH without a suit for the finale
- L: Someone’s dying. This much I believe.
- M: Are you a witch haha – I love your theory
- L: I think it could possibly be Lily, but I think Robin makes more sense.
- M: We see too much future Lily so Robin makes sense
- L: there will be a close up of the blue french horn hanging in Ted and the mother’s home together. That’ll be your ending scene.
- M: Watch it be hanging above the chair where Ted is telling the story to the kids
- L: Yep
- M: That’s so good
- L: Stop it or I’m gonna cry!
- M: It’s going to be a lot of emotions
UPDATE: Lindsay offered an alternate version to her overall theory this morning:
Or perhaps this is theory B) Robin is indeed infertile so they adopt a child. Robin, being a Scherbatsky, after all, will die brave doing what she loves. They’ll off her covering some amazing news story. War in Syria or something like that. Barney will raise their daughter alone and you’ll see him, without a suit on, putting flowers on her grave in Farhampton. The rest is the same.
That’s our theory. What’s yours?
Like it, but there is too much focus on Barney/Robin. Focus will be on Ted/Mother in the end. I think it would be “great” if the mother dies…While story would make sense. So brave from the authors point of view… But apparently now after “vesuvius” it would be really obvious…i don´t know what to think..maybe it will be totally unspectacular at all..no one important dies…perhaps robins mum, teds mum, mothers mum…but who knows…
I like the theory about Robin, but after Vesuvius I had a whole new respect for the story they are trying to tell. The poignance of realizing that Ted is telling this story in memorial to the Mother hit like a ton of bricks but is a brave turn I’d applaud them for.
If the mother is dead and Ted is talking about how many women he slept with to his kids. GROSS!! Also his kids looked awfully bored hearing about this store and if their mother is dead shame on them.