Tonight is our last regular episode not before the penultimate series finale. Like most episodes this season I am both thrilled, but not fully satisfied. Maybe it’s because of the finality of everything. After 9 years I want everything to be extraordinary, but I’m hopeful next week’s finale will properly quench this insatiable thirst thats’s been gnawing at us all these years.
Barney and Robin are both in panic mode just minutes perform their wedding. Robin can’t shake the thought of not having her locket and Barney can’t find the right words to express in his vows.
Robin tells Ted about her upset over Barney not magically finding her locket and how she thought she’d be with someone would come thought for her against all odds. Ted has the locket and gives it to Barney to deliver to Robin in to save the day. However Robin sees through Barney’s lie about finding the locket and knows the locket was really found by Ted. Ted came through for Robin once again and Robin’s realization that “Ted always goes big” for her leads to one of that real conversations they’ve had in a long while. Robin expressed her doubts on not picking Ted. It was both uncomfortable and necessary. I was really happy to see this scene play out and then end with a great speech from Ted about love. However Robin isn’t sold and runs off, and in the process literally runs into the Mother. Mother doesn’t talk to talk Robin out of running away, but instead suggests that Robin take 3 deep breaths before making such a big stressful decision.
Marshall and Lily get into a debate with Barney wedding vows. Barney calls Marshall and Lily out on not keeping their vows and gives specific examples through some never before seen flashbacks. Barney gets Marshall and Lily to doubt their vows and how their relationship has changed. This leads to them “borrowing” the altar and exchanging some very sweet updated vows including a Weird Al reference. Barney witnesses Lily and Marshall’s vows which inspires him to find Robin before the ceremony and he promises to always tell Robin he’s always going to honest with her. He also confessed that Ted got the locket.
Just like that Robin and Barney are back on course, but then Barney has another minor freakout about his tie, but Marshall SLAPS some sense into him right before Robin walks down the aisle to an instrumental version of Sandcastles in the Sand.
Bad Omen count: raining on their wedding day, Barney seeing Robin before he wedding TWICE.
- Marshall: What’s you writing? / Barney: ummm it’s my wedding day what do you think I’m writing? / Marshall: suicide note?
- Lily: how do we make him vomit? / Marshall: remind him that he’s getting married
- Ted: Ease to the pease, happy wedding.
- Marshall: Lily, that photo got all over Friendster and MySpace. Man 2007 was a long time ago.
- Robin: Everything’s legendary. You know what legendary means, not real. I mean the man’s initials are B.S.
- Barney: Awww you feed her like Sloth from Goonies, so the magic’s still there.
- Ted: The truth is I don’t love you like that anymore. You don’t love me. You love Barney. And if you think I’d be any part of screwing that up, then maybe you don’t know me at all, Robin.
- Ted: But love doesn’t make sense. You can’t logic your way into or out of it. Love is totally nonsensical, but we have to keep on doing it or else we’re lost and love is dead and humanity should just pack it in. Because love is the best thing we do.
- Barney: you know what you should use the next time you run out of toilet paper, your weddings vows, cause that’s all your marriage has been.none six year wipe after that double flusher of a wedding. Stinson out!
- Mother: ok during that fall we did kind of get to second base with each other and we’ll always share that, but I don’t really know you so…
- Robin: Awww I love the ring bear. / Barney: the you are gonna love the flower gorilla.
- Narrator Ted: Love’s the best thing we do.
Moments of Awesomeness
- Marshall’s Nessie tshirts he wears on the flight to his honeymoon
- Bearded Wonder Woman incident of 2007
- Marshall making Lily’s breakfast I’m bed these days
- Ted’s love speech
- The thought Marshall point and yelling “Maybe it’s Maybellline” at dog erections
- Spew Years Eve 1998
- Mother was a BIT of detective too
- Robin walking down then aisle to an instrumental arrangements of “Sandcastles in the Sand”
- Marshall awesomely using his final slap and ending their slap bet
- The ring bear!
- All the familiar faces at the wedding
- Saget, I mean Narrator Ted’s closing speech.
Not getting to see the flower gorilla
The super imposed/green screen guests at the wedding
Is anyone else worried about Robin having a nip slip in that dress?
I really wish we got a chance to see Narrator Ted delivery some of his epic lines and words of wisdom over the years. The gang delivers so much emotions as the voice overs play, but I wonder what the Ted telling the story’s face looks like as he does.
Does everyone else already feel the need to hate Friends with Better Lives because its “replacing” HIMYM?