Vesuvius – Season 9, Episode 18
Older Ted and Mother – flashforward and flashback all in one episode. What a lovely treat to hear Ted reminiscing and sharing stories with Mother. However Mother knows all of Ted’s stories. Mother tries to out Ted-Ted, but they both know each other’s stories so well. Mother then drops the LINE OF THE SERIES: “You’re the love of my life pooh bear. I just worry about you; I don’t want you to be the guy who lives in his stories. Life only moves forward.” So much emotion goes between the two of them. So much is unspoken.
The morning of the wedding little sister Katie finally joined in for the pre-wedding fun. The sisters Scherbatsky are destressing with a lively game of indoor hockey. Lily girls up the moment with a lame scrapbook document Barney and Robin’s love. Lily trying to force Robin’s wedding day freak out. Lily then tries to purposefully piss off Robin by suggesting she wear her own wedding dress as a bridesmaid. Just when Lily thinks Robin is immune to a wedding day freak out Robin runs into her mom in the hall (props to the HIMYM crew to get Tracey Ullman to fill Robin’s mom’s shoes). Meanwhile Barney is struggling on choosing a suit. Unsurprisingly all of his suits have a story such as rodeo clowns, magic, escorts, etc. Ted gives Barney a good pep talk and gets Barney to wear his new suit that Tim Gunn made for him for the occasion. The gang all realizes that this is the last time they’d all hang out together since Ted will be leaving for Chicago the next day.
Music Note: The episode closed with Bob Dylan’s “If You See Her, Say Hello” – I look up the lyrics and got extra choked up when I read “and though our separation, it pierced me to the heart. She still lives inside of me, we’ve never been apart.”
- Mother: Yeah “Lily” used the word ragamuffin.
- Robin: You just poked the dragon, here comes the bride.
- Ted: Susan Tup. Sue Tup. Suit Up.
- Jed Mosley: Hey that is not a toy you Ragamuffin. That is an authentic flail I won at the Renaissance Fair.
- Jed Mosley: No Can-I-Doesville Babydoll.
- Mother: Of course she showed up. What mother is going to miss her daughter’s wedding?
Moments of Awesomeness
The high five between Mother and Ted for being an “old married couple.”
Ted’s old man hair and Cosby sweater AND the fact that he’s totally pulling it off.
Ted not wanting to give up a $20 dollar bill because the one he has is lucky.
Narshall = John Heder
Barney’s scuba suit theft story.
The Wedding Bride…too!
- The writers have all but confirmed that mother is sick and seemly going to die. Or is she? My friend Chris is hoping for a surprise twist between 2024-2030.
- Was anybody else hypnotized by Cristin’s watery eyes tonight?
- The episode is called Vesuvius – which is an Italian volcano, named Mount Vesuvius. What are your thoughts on the significance of the name for tonight’s episode?
- SO much purple Ted…seriously. I hope we get an explanation, do you think we will? Maybe even on the DVD…